Marcham C of E Primary School
"Where Christian values are integral and learning is fun"
1669 - 2nd Place 2020/21
1389 - 4th Place 2020/21
2126 - 1st Place 2020/21
1518 - 3rd Place 2020/21
The overarching aim for English in the National Curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. it aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding;
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information;
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and the spoken language;
- appreciate our rich and varied lierary heritage;
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences;
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas;
- are competent in the art of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
In addition to these principles, we are committed to providing extra opportunities such as seeing live performances, working with an author, illustrator or poet, participating in performances and taking part in a range of discussion contexts.